Autumn is here, and along with the fall colors, we’ve launched a new channel, Smooth Pumpkin Spice Latte, featuring smooth sounds to keep you cozy like a warm sweater. Our new channel isn’t the only pumpkin-flavored treat out there, though. We reached out to AccuRadio listener, pumpkin spice enthusiast, and blogger Elizabeth Denton to run down some of her fall favorites.
It’s suddenly October, the weather is cold, gray and damp, and thoughts turn to… pumpkin spice lattes! Yes, it is indeed Pumpkin Spice Latte season! The overwhelming popularity of this flavor is perhaps due to a desire to cozy up at home with family and friends after busy summers of pools, beaches, vacations, new hobbies, and being on the go all the time. It’s our chance to chill before the craziness of the holidays come barreling down upon us. Heck, it’s time for pumpkin beer! What’s not to love about that?!
- Pumpkin spice coffee – Starbucks started it all with their Pumpkin Spice Latte. Now #PSL is a thing on Twitter and every other coffee chain makes something similar. You can even buy it in Keurig cups.
- Pumpkin spice tea – Honestly, this isn’t that far removed from chai tea. They have almost the same spices – cinnamon, cloves, ginger… The tea is less caloric. Unless you get it as a tea latte.
- Pumpkin spice waffles and pancakes – Spicy fall flavors in the ideal cozy weather breakfast foods. Yum.
- Pumpkin Beer – You can’t walk down the beer aisle in the grocery store anymore without being overwhelmed by the number of breweries creating pumpkin beers. Some are better than others, Evolution Craft Brewing Co.’s Jacques Au Lantern and Mad Fox Brewing Stingy Jack’s Pumpkin Saison are some of the best Washington, DC, area faves. Others include Blue Moon, Shiner Bock, and Samuel Adams.
- Pumpkin pasta sauce – Pumpkin is actually a lovely savory flavor for cooking. There are plenty of pumpkin pasta sauce recipes. And lasagna recipes. And chili recipes.
- Bath & Body Works pumpkin shower gel, lotions, candles – Every year the company makes variations on pumpkin fragrance bath and body products.
- Pumpkin Pop Tarts – Pumpkin pie for your hand! Easier to pack in your lunch that an actual slice of pie! What’s not to love?!
- Pumpkin Donuts – Dunkin’ Donuts might have been one of the first companies on this seasonal flavor trend but they are not the only one. Pumpkin spice donuts are like apple donuts – a perfect fall flavor in two bites. (Or three, depending on how dainty you are.)
- Pumpkin Granola and Pumpkin Yogurt – If some of these other options seem too… unhealthy… for you, you can find some pumpkin granola and feel superior, knowing that while others down pumpkin frosted cookies, you are staying healthy with your pumpkin granola. In your pumpkin yogurt.
- AccuRadio’s Smooth Pumpkin Spice Latte channel – While you are sipping your pumpkin spice latte, nibbling on a pumpkin spice donut, after a meal of pumpkin chili and a pumpkin beer, you can enjoy the fragrance of your pumpkin hand lotion and relax to the smooth pumpkin spiced textures of AccuRadio’s newest channel. I can’t think of anything more “autumn” than that.
Are you ready to raid Trader Joe’s pumpkin aisle yet?
Elizabeth A. Denton bikes and sews in Arlington, VA, and is mildly obsessed with all things reflective. And pumpkin spice. You can find her online at tinlizzieridesagain.wordpress.com!
Sound off in the comments with your favorite pumpkin spiced treats!